The Current State of Online Lead Generation in the Legal Industry
Attorney lead generation efforts are somewhat of an oddity when compared to other industries. For many decades, outreach for law firms consisted mainly of phone book listings, billboards, t.v. ads, word-of-mouth, and not much else. This is partly due to some restrictions on advertising and solicitation for law firms in general. However, the lack of change can also be attributed to a reluctance to break out of the traditional shell of legal marketing to try new client acquisition approaches.
It’s clear that the legal industry still lags far behind other industries when it comes to the use of digital and online tools and channels for promotion. CRM (management of clients) is also clunky for most firms, who sometimes still use Rolodexes (literally!) to keep track of leads and clients.
At the moment, there are so many online legal lead generation avenues that law firms can take advantage of, but often don’t. These include:
- Paid ads (Google AdWords, LinkedIn advertising, Facebook Ads, etc.)
- Social channels like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter (44% of adults over 30 use Facebook as their regular news source)
- YouTube, Vimeo and other video platforms
- Online attorney directories
- Lead generation website services
In particular, we’d like to focus on lead generation websites, which really started getting popular around five years ago. By now they have somewhat saturated the legal industry with varying levels of focus and practice areas. It’s important to know the difference between the full array of legal lead generation services offered by an agency and a lead generation website service.
Agency Services vs. Legal Lead Generation Websites
Legal lead generation websites are third-party businesses that promise leads to law firms that hire them. They’ll set up a website where potential customers or clients enter in their information; they then pass this information as a lead to the businesses. While this may be a viable setup for some firms, there are many ways in which this style of lead generation can be problematic.
For example, some drawbacks of lead generation websites are:
- Some get very little traffic to the lead generation landing page, meaning your firm’s brand exposure may be little to none
- Quality of leads can be weak or irrelevant to the firm’s practice area — some sites are simply trying to meet a monthly quota they’ve promised
- Pricing can be high
- Does nothing to update and improve your own website and make your firm stand out
- Does not increase organic SEO ranking
- Too broad — often tries to service too many businesses in too many fields
- May be competing with other firms or businesses using the website
- Lack of longevity — many lead generation websites have come and gone with no results, and end up sucking up valuable firm resources
- The actual lead generation website can be cookie-cutter and unattractive to visitors
In contrast, a comprehensive lead generation agency will go above and beyond the basic services offered by lead generation websites. Lead generation agencies provide:
- Thorough assessments of our client’s websites and online channels for improvement
- Persona development to target the ideal audience
- Well-strategized campaigns that are unique to each client
- Onsite content development (web pages, blogs, newsletters, etc.)
- Channel selection for content promotion
- Custom forms, landing pages and thank you pages
- Automated follow-up emails to nurture leads
- Monthly reporting and performance monitoring
Agency Services Are a Better Solution for Legal Firms
One of the main elements to stress is that complete lead generation services and guidance from a professional agency will increase the firm’s organic SEO and website traffic. This means that the firm can eventually decrease ad spending as the firm website itself continues to harness leads. In the long run, it’s a much more stable, lasting way to grow a law firm.
At Flashpoint.Marketing we want to make it clear that we are not a simple lead generation website. Rather, we are a complete lead generation company that provides personalized attention and tailored lead generation campaigns for our clients. We provide a broad range of lead generation packages and tiers that will work best with your budget. As your campaign progresses, we can help you identify additional opportunities for growth, improvement, and increased client acquisition. Contact us today for a consultation and learn how we can send your firm’s growth to the next level.