We recently revisited HubSpot’s most-recent State of Inbound report to see what else we could pull from it to share with you. As always, the study — which polled 4,500 professionals in sales and marketing — highlighted both the pitfalls and successes within the current marketing landscape. As a San Diego HubSpot agency, we believe that inbound marketing is the most effective approach, and the study reinforces this.
First, a Refresher on Inbound Marketing Methodology
Inbound marketing seeks to attract potential customers using helpful content and communication that is found by the buyer rather than forced upon them by the seller. The model employs a progressive series of very deliberate steps actions:
- Attraction: Generate traffic from your likely customers, based on research-based personas.
- Conversion of visitors to leads: If the content is valuable to the visitor, they will trade their contact information for access. Tools for executing conversion include entry forms, calls to action and web landing pages.
- Closing: Capture and retain contact data for sales team engagement and transitioning leads to customers. Tools include CRMs, email strategies, and automated marketing via channels such as Twitter, Facebook, video, etc.
- Delighting: Transition customers into willing promoters of your product or service. Tools such as surveys generate feedback, and persona-based calls to action and social monitoring (likes, dislikes etc.) begin.
1. Inbound Marketing Makes Calculating ROI Easier
The State of Inbound survey reminded us of a critical marketing fundamental — measuring success. How can any marketing campaign be evaluated without a means of quantifying results? Organizations can keep a close eye on this by calculating their return on investment, or ROI, which is made easy with inbound marketing tools like HubSpot. Doing so also carries other benefits: according to HubSpot, those calculating ROI were 1.6 times more likely to receive higher marketing budgets from higher-ups.
2. Video is Viable
Video and related multimedia is in full swing, as 48% of marketers said they plan to incorporate YouTube, while 39% will try Facebook’s video platform. This helps reach people on the outlets where they are most comfortable. All indicators suggest that video viewership online will continue to rise for the foreseeable future.
3. CRMs Make Consolidating Data a Breeze
The survey found difficulties in gathering data and tracking it through the sales cycle. Forty percent of marketers polled use some informal means of storing customer data, such as Excel or paper filing. Nearly one-in-four did not know what a CRM is. So perhaps it’s no surprise that 29% spend over an hour per day simply entering data.
While this highlights another benefit of HubSpot, it does highlight that there is a large chunk of marketers out there who are unfamiliar with inbound methodology. Contact data submitted by the visitor should be captured by a system allowing full cross-departmental access in real-time. Salespeople need easy access when out in the field.
4. There is a Disconnect Between Sales & Marketing
The survey revealed that marketers felt their inbound marketing leads (as opposed to outbound ones) were high quality, while conversely the sales team found them to be among the lowest quality. Thirty percent of respondents classified the sales/marketing relationship as either rarely aligned, or misaligned. Both departments must determine what defines a good marketing lead, and each must be aware of the other’s definition. There must be a clearly defined numerical marketing goal for leads. The central data system must track sales activity, help determine ROI and customer persona(s), while providing reports from which to analyze marketing analytics.
Need an Inbound Marketing Plan? Talk to a San Diego HubSpot Agency
Flashpoint.Marketing is a Silver-Tier HubSpot agency in San Diego that helps small and large businesses develop goal-oriented marketing strategies. We believe in the power of inbound marketing, and that’s why we use a comprehensive mix of today’s leading inbound tools to deliver for our clients.
Contact us today to discuss your goals and how we can help you reach or exceed them at 888.424.0909.